Ozone is the most powerful oxidizing agent in commercial use today. As such, it is continuing to gain market share in North America for swimming pool water treatment systems. The crystal clear, odorless water is the best indicator of an Ozone system in use. And it does not leave swimmers with red eye, rashes, itching or other skin irritation problems.
- Ozone is an incredibly fast-acting sanitizer – much faster than chlorine.
- Water is clearer.
- Ozone does not cause stinging eyes, itchy skin or degrade swimsuits.
- There are no noxious fumes in the pool area.
- Ozone is made on-site, so there is no storage of chemicals.
- The system is automatic. There is no need for intensive maintenance.
- Ozone makes the entire filter system much more effective.
- Ozone is the most cost effective sanitizing system on the market.
- Filtration support: Ozone assists flocculation of organic waste materials, thus enhancing the effectiveness of filters.
- Water purification: Ozone directly decomposes organic waste by oxidation.
- Water sanitation: Dissolved ozone residuals kill virtually all bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Water oxygenation: Unused ozone turns into normal oxygen and remains dissolved in the water to the point of saturation. This makes the pool water clean, sparkling and appealing.
- Leaves no toxic residues in the treated water.
- It is produced on site and it does not require storage or transportation.
- Ozone systems do not cause adverse health effects.
- Undissolved ozone off-gas is easily separated from the treated water and quickly reverts back to oxygen. Chlorine that is released from the pool water is in its highly toxic gas form and hangs right above the pool surface. This is most apparent in indoor pools, where the pool room is filled with chlorine gas and its obvious odor.
- Ozone ends water discharge liabilities.
- Ozone destroys all types of microorganisms, prevents calcium carbonate scaling and removes existing scale, reduces the corrosion rate of exposed metals, and cleans and prevents greasy sediments on pool sides.
- Ozone treated water has a much lower cleaning cost.
- Ozone is being used by numerous hospitals and rehabilitation centers. Today’s ozone technology does not require chlorine assistance, except as a backup in case of maintenance or power problems, (bromine is preferred and is much safer).
- The dosage or ozone requirements for pools is typically 0.125 to 0.150 gram per cubic meter of pool volume, This has been verified at a number of public, commercial and hospital pools. (Private pools require lower dosages)
- There is no known negative effect of swimming in ozonated water. There has never been a death from ozone while over 100,000 people have died from accidental exposure to chlorine.
- Properly sized ozone generators will provide all the necessary ozonation power to purify, oxygenate and sanitize swimming pools, whirlpools, and lakes of any size. The production of ozone is maintained automatically at desired levels.
- Envron systems modular design provides spare capacity in case of any component failure.
- Ozone can do everything that chlorine can do and more. Hundreds of scientific papers confirm millions of successful water and pool installations with Ozone.
As problems with chlorine systems continue to be documented, most notably the production of carcinogenic (cancer-causing) by-products called chloro-organic compounds or trihalomethanes (THMs), Ozone is becoming the sanitizer of choice for pool managers. It not only eliminates the production of these compounds, but it reduces or eliminates the maintenance problems associated with these caustic gases.
In Germany, which has long set the standard for drinking water and pool water quality worldwide, Ozone systems are the sanitizer of choice. Europeans are so accustomed to the pristine environment of swimming pools without chlorine problems that a group of European swimmers at the Atlanta Olympics refused to enter a chlorinated pool. The pool was subsequently switched to an Ozone treatment system.
Eliminate red eye, rashes
In swimming pools, chloro-organic compounds and THMs may accumulate to very high concentrations. Red eyes and rashes are the most instant and obvious effects and should be considered signals of a much more serious risk to human health.
On average, the human body will absorb about half a litre of pool water every hour. The best pools have their water quality in compliance with the standards for drinking water supplies.
There are over 300,000 swimming pools in Europe treated with Ozone and the number of pools in North America continues to climb as the benefits become obvious. Ozone kills bacteria, viruses and protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium organisms which can cause severe gastrointestinal illness and which chlorine is much less effective in killing. As well, it also prevents airborne endotoxins which occur in standard chlorine water treatment. These toxins can cause chronic coughing and wheezing among lifeguards called Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (lifeguards’ cough).
Ozone reduces or eliminates the caustic gases formed by chlorine which helps to reduce or eliminate maintenance problems such as rusting, premature wear and other chlorine-related problems.
Ozone also kills molds and mildews and eliminates spores, yeasts and fungus. Not only does Ozone accomplish all of this, it is PH neutral and adds no contaminants to water. Ozone does not break down into irritating substances. In fact, where pools use a dual system of sanitation (ie. Ozone and chlorine or bromines), Ozone actually inhibits the formation of chloro-organic byproducts and THMs.
Systems set up by Envron Inc. are low maintenance and automatic. Mechanically, the systems are simple and easy to use. You’ll be delighted with the results.
Ozone is produced electrically so there are no on-going costs for chemicals or additives to the pool. Ozonation eliminates the outbreak of serious waterborne diseases and improves the general performance, health and quality of life for commercial swimming pools. Please call us for more information.